We have a boiler/chiller system, which means that we do not have the capacity to have heat and ac running at the same time. The only time when you can control your own ac/heat temperature is when you have individual heat pump/ac units in each apartment, but that is not the case in this community.
The process for changing from heat to ac normally takes about four to five days. Basically, we have to stop the boiler and drain all the underground pipes before we can turn the AC on.
We check with the National Weather Service for the expected forecast so that if we are expecting some days with temperatures under 60, which is when we are required to provide heat, we will not be able to change the system over.
Although we may have some days with temperatures over 80 degrees, for example, if there are more days the temperature is going to be under 45, for example, we are required to provide heat.
Holes should not be drilled in your apartment without our prior written consent, nor should any nails, hooks, or screws be used on any floors, doors, windows, tub, shower, appliances, or fixtures in the apartment.
Nothing should be fastened to the floors, doors, windows, walls, appliances, or fixtures in the apartment, the exterior walls, or porches of the buildings.
Please refrain from hanging signs, advertisements, or notices on the outside or inside of any apartment or building.
Locks on the doors leading to the apartment should not be altered without our consent. We must have a key to every lock at all times, and every lock must be compatible with the master key system for the building.
Please do not use the balcony, patio, or terrace of your apartment to store personal property.
Additionally, no towels, rags, rugs, laundry, or other items should be hung from any balcony or terrace, nor should anything be thrown or dropped from the windows, balcony or terrace.
Please refrain from cooking or barbecuing on a porch, patio, or balcony.
Common areas, sidewalks, entrances, lobbies, hallways, elevators, or stairways of the community should not be used for any purpose other than entry and exit. Please do not place or store furniture, equipment, or personal articles in any common areas for any period of time. We may remove any such items at any time, at your expense, including any storage costs.
Our apartment community uses automatic phone messages to inform our residents of any emergency situations that need an immediate communication. We use this message system for emergencies, like:
- Power/utility outages
- Road closures
- Storm preparations
- Major community projects
- Office closures
At the end of each message you will have the opportunity to opt-out of future messages, but we hope that you find the messages valuable and will choose to continue receiving them. We'll be careful to use them only when it's really necessary.
All equipment located in your apartment or community should be used in a reasonable and careful manner. Equipment includes such things as toilets, sinks, electrical, plumbing, heating, ventilating, air conditioning, building access system, elevators, appliances, or other facilities. If you or your family, guests, or visitors use any equipment in a manner that causes damage to the equipment, you could be held responsible for the costs of repairing or replacing it.
If your community has a pool, you must pay any required fees prior to usage. For your safety, please obey all pool rules and regulations.
Games, sports, and other recreational activities are permitted only in designated areas. All rules and regulations must be obeyed including the days and hours that recreational facilities may be used.
We may at any time discontinue any recreational services or close down facilities either temporarily or permanently.
Items which weigh more than we determine is reasonable for the floor loading of the apartment are not permitted. You must check with us before bringing heavy items (i.e., waterbeds, safes, etc.) into the apartment.
Residents are charged a fee of $50.00 if they are locked out after office hours.
To request emergency service, residents can call 1-800-707-1719.
It is the sole responsibility of the lease holder and/or lease listed occupants to inform any guest of their apartment about Park Shirlington parking policies and procedures.
Parking decals will only be issued to Leaseholders when they present a valid driver’s license and registration. All information on the registration must match the vehicle and must be in the name of a leaseholder. If the vehicle registration is not in the name of a leaseholder, the leaseholder must provide a copy of vehicle insurance. The vehicle insurance must list them as authorized drivers.
Please note: Parking of boats, trailers, trucks and buses is prohibited. Motorcycles and Commercial vehicles must be parked in the designated areas. This includes any vehicles that have advertisement on it. The only exception will be taxi cabs that are registered to a leaseholder.
Parking decals are limited to:
Up to Two (2) stickers will be issued for a one (1) bedroom
Up to Two (2) stickers will be issued for a two (2) bedroom
Up to Three (3) stickers will be issued for a three (3) bedroom
Any lost or stolen parking decals are the sole responsibility of the licensee. The penalty for the replacement is two hundred and fifty dollars ($250.00).
Parking decals must be displayed on your passenger side front or rear window at all times.
Towing hours are as follows: 11:00 pm – 6:00 am Monday through Friday and 12:00 am – 6:00 am Saturdays and Sundays.
Cause for Towing: Vehicles will be towed without notice for the following reasons.
Failure to display a current parking decals or temporary permits
Vehicles taking up more than one space and double parked
Vehicles in a state of disrepair and/or abandoned
The company responsible for towing at Park Shirlington is A-1 Towing. If towed please call:
A-1 Towing & Recovery 703-971-2600
Each household is entitled to up to five (5) days maximum of temporary permits per month with no exceptions. Lease holders and/or lease listed occupants over the age of 18 can purchase additional parking permits at a cost of $5.00 per day. Temporary permits will be given for up to five (5) passes per day or at the discretion of management consent based on availability.
Commercial vehicles approved by Management can only be parked in designated areas.
Oversized vehicles, recreational vehicles, boats, trailers or other oversized vehicles may not be parked in the community without management consent. Management further reserves the right to revoke their consent of parking privilege for the above mentioned vehicles at any given time.
Park Shirlington has granted the State Police, Local Police, and towing company the authority to enforce the rules of Park Shirlington as well as state and local laws in Park Shirlington parking areas.
All ordinances regarding fire lanes will be obeyed. Any vehicle parked in a fire lane, no parking area, blocking a fire hydrant, refuse container, another vehicle, sidewalk, lawn or otherwise illegally parked is subjected to be towed without notice at the vehicle owner’s expense.
Any parking decals issued by Home Properties/Park Shirlington Management which is altered, defaced, or duplicated in any way shall result in the cancellation of ALL parking privileges. A change in vehicle ownership will require the return of the old decal and re-issuance of a new decal. Management will NOT reimburse for any towing expenses due to decals displayed on a vehicle that do not match the plate number.
All parking decals must be surrendered at the time of move-out. Any parking decals not returned will result in a two hundred fifty dollar ($250.00) charge.
Repairs to vehicles are prohibited on the Community, except emergency repairs.
Resident will have the opportunity to have a reserved parking space. Reserved spaces are subject to management approval. A maximum of two reserved spaces are allowed per apartment. Each space will cost $35.00 per month. A resident will forfeit their right to a reserved parking spot for non-payment of parking, utilities or rent.
All residents, their family, and guests should conduct themselves in a manner that will not disturb their neighbors or community staff. Noise, odors, or any other actions that cause a disturbance are not permitted. Please do not interfere with the rights, comforts, or convenience of other residents or community staff.
Remember you are responsible for the conduct of your family, friends, guests, and anyone you invite into the community.
We will make reasonable efforts to stop neighbors from disturbing your peace, but we cannot be responsible for controlling their actions. If you are seriously disturbed by activities at your neighbor’s apartment, please call the police.
Cats & dogs are welcome at your community. A Pet Agreement is required for all pets and additional fees apply. Any violation of pet rules and regulations can result in charges to your account, loss of pet privileges, or eviction. See restrictions below.
Number of Pets
Pet Friendly Areas
Pets may be restricted to certain buildings and/or floor levels within the community.
Service Animals or Assistance Animals for Disabled
Service animals or other assistance animals for disabled residents will always be permitted with verification that the resident qualifies as disabled and requires the animal in order to have equal opportunity to use and enjoy the apartment and community. A Pet Addendum will be required; however, all fees, deposits, and renters’ insurance requirements specific to the animal will be waived. Rules and regulations will apply to the animal.
The following dog breeds are not allowed (no full or mix of any of the following):
- Alaskan Malamute
- American Bulldog
- Dogo Argentino
- German Shepherd
- Presa Canario
- Staffordshire Terrier/Pit Bull
or any other breed prohibited by management for life/safety reasons. We may change the restricted breed list after thirty (30) days notice; however, if such change means that your dog will no longer be allowed, then your dog will nonetheless be permitted (grandfathered) until the expiration of your then-current lease term. No “visiting” pets are allowed.
Pet Rules and Regulations
- Pets must be licensed and immunized in accordance with applicable regulations.
- Dogs are not allowed outside the apartment unless on a leash (in accordance with local leash laws) and under your control or under the control of your designated responsible person.
- Cats must be indoors only. Only domestic breeds are allowed.
- Pets must not be left alone, at any time, outside the apartment. Animal control will be called to remove any pets left unattended within the community.
- Dogs may not be tied to any fixed object (such as a tree) anywhere in the community. You may not keep your pet on the balconies or patios unleashed or unattended at any time.
- No pets are allowed in the swimming pool areas, other apartments, laundry rooms, offices, clubrooms, or other recreational facilities, except as required by applicable laws related to service animals or other assistance animals.
- Dogs and cats must be housebroken. Dogs and cats must be spayed or neutered, and no pet offspring are allowed.
- Pets must be walked and curbed only in designated areas. You are responsible for immediate clean-up of pet waste. Pet waste is to be disposed of properly in plastic bags and placed in the dumpsters or other designated dog stations.
- You will not allow any pet to become a nuisance or danger to other residents, which includes, but is not limited to, biting, excessive barking, or whining.
- Upon maintenance requests, dogs must be restricted to an area not affected by the service request.
- You are responsible for any extermination fees incurred as a result of keeping a pet in the apartment.
We may change any of the above Pet Rules and Regulations after thirty (30) days’ notice.
The recycling bins are located next to each dumpster throughout the property.
Only glass, plastic and paper is allowed to be in the bins.
Cardboard must be separated and placed in the recycling dumpster across from building 4527.
Please do not bring anything into your apartment or the community that increases the risk of fire. Things that could cause an increased risk of fire include flammable oils, fluids, propane, benzene, gasoline, kerosene, or other hazardous materials.
Please refrain from cooking or barbecuing on a porch, patio, balcony, or within 15 feet of any building, except as expressly permitted by your community.
Satellite dishes one meter or less in size are permitted upon your signing a Lease Addendum – Satellite Antenna and Dishes.
Adding Value to your SmartCard
- Insert SmartCard into the Cash Service Center, with the chip facing up towards the machine.
- The balance on your card will show on the electronic display.
- To add value on to your card, with the card already in the Cash Service Center, insert $5, $10, or $20 into the bill acceptor.
- Wait for the card to be updated and remove the card.
Use in Laundry Machine
- The price of the cycle is displayed on the electronic display.
- To start the machine, insert SmartCard into the card-reader slot with the chip facing up towards the machine.
- Select the cycle desired. The length of the cycle will be displayed after the machine has started.
- After your cycle selection, wait until the machine starts and the display on the machine says to “Pull Card.”
General Care of SmartCard
- Store card in a safe place away from magnetic fields such as microwaves, computers, other credit cards, and electronic equipment.
- Do not bend.
- Do not insert card in anything but the laundry machines and the Cash Service Center.
- The information may be erased if inserted in any other card reader.
- Keep card and chip clean from any grease, film, or laundry soap.
- Keep card and chip dry and free from scratches.
- Do not put wet clothes on the SmartCard readers.
Stop by the leasing office during normal business hours if you have any questions regarding your SmartCard.
We have contracted a company called BrightView for snow and ice removal operations. Please adhere to the following guidelines related to snow removal:
- All communications regarding snow removal operations should be directed to our Leasing Office (e.g., if plowing or sidewalk clearing has not occurred in your section of the community). If the office is closed due to inclement weather, please leave a voicemail message, as they are monitored and responded to! BrightView has been instructed to only communicate with Community Managers.
- BrightView will begin snow removal operations after two (2) inches of snow has accumulated on paved surfaces or at the discretion of the community.
- Parking spaces will be truck bladed to the extent that parked vehicles permit (at least three unoccupied parking spaces in a row) during the original plowing service. Roadways will be plowed curb to curb, or as close to the curb, as the roadway allows.
- BrightView snowplow operators will attempt to push the snow off the roadway in smooth, continuous passes with the blades angled toward the road to not create large drifts of snow in front of parked cars; however, the contractor is not responsible for removing snow from behind/around cars after the snow removal service. This will inevitably occur each time the truck plows snow from the street, but BrightView has been cautioned to avoid this as much as possible.
- After the snow has been removed, BrightView will use rock salt on the drivelanes and parking areas and ice melt for the sidewalks.
- Snow should never be shoveled onto streets, sidewalks, or other parking spaces. BrightView is not responsible for the removal of snow piled by residents in these areas. When shoveling or blowing snow, please place it onto grass-covered common areas. Visit the Leasing Office to borrow a spare shovel if needed.
- If you are essential personnel or are required to be available for work, please make private arrangements or park on a public or adjacent street.
- Snow removal and ice melt will not be applied to your patio area during winter months by BrightView of the community. Under the provisions of your lease, it is your responsibility to keep your apartment in a clean, orderly, and safe condition. This includes the patio area. Failure to do so will be at your own risk.
We have storage bins in each building for residents at no charge. Limit one bin for each apartment.
Trash receptacles are located in seven different exterior areas of the property.
Next to buildings 4422, 4430, 4502 and 4512 on the East side of the property.
On the West side of the property they are located at each entrance and across from building 4513.